As a 5 star PADI Instructor Development Centre we are able to provide a full range of courses to get you started in the diving industry.
The four and a half day Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) Program is open to PADI Assistant Instructors and to Instructors from other recreational diver training agencies who wish to cross over. Successful completion of the OWSI Program will allow you to attend a PADI Instructor Exam (IE) and successful completion of the IE will result in certification as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor.
- To enrol on the OWSI you must:
- Be certified as a PADI Assistant Instructor or as a current instructor member in good standing with another recreational diver training organisation for at least six months
- Submit a medical, conducted within the last 12 months, which states you are fit for diving (the medical must also be valid for the IE)
- Have been certified for at least 6 months as a diver with a minimum of 60 dives (100 dives are required to attend the IE)
- Submit proof of CPR and First Aid training within the last 24 months
- Submit documentation of certification from entry level to leadership level
- If not a PADI Divemaster, successfully complete the PADI Divemaster course diver rescue skills assessment
- “Independent Learning Prerequisite”
- Prior to the start of the OWSI program all 16 IDC Knowledge Reviews must be completed.
- Prior to and during the IDC you will need to have the following materials:
- PADI Instructor Manual*
- Instructor Candidate Workbook
- The Law and The Diving Professional
- The Best of The Undersea Journal
- The Business of Diving
- Peak Performance Buoyancy and Project AWARE Specialty Instructor Outlines
- PADI Open Water Diver, Adventures in Diving, Rescue and Divemaster manuals*
- Recreational Dive Planner - Table & Wheel versions with Instructions for Use Booklets
- Open Water Diver Quizzes and Exam booklet*
- Rescue and Divemaster Exam booklets*
- Aquatic Cue Cards - Confined and Open Water
- Confined Water Lesson Preparation Slate
- Open Water Training Dive Lesson Planning Slate
- *The most current versions will be needed for the OWSI Program and the IE
- You will need full dive equipment suitable for pool and open water sessions.
- “Performance Requirements”
- To successfully complete the OWSI Program you must:
- Attend and participate in all 14 presentations (15 presentations for instructors from other recreational diver training organisations)
- Present at least 2 knowledge development presentations and score a 3.5 or higher
- Present at least 2 confined water presentations and score 3.4 or higher
- Present at least 1 integrated open water presentations (two skills within each) and score 3.5 on both skills
- Demonstrate all 20 dive skills, scoring a minimum of 68 points, with no skill below a 3
- Perform a face-down, non-stop swim for 800 metres/yards using a mask snorkel and fins
- Score 75 percent or higher on all five sections of the Instructor Preassessment Exam
Please note that any fees payable to PADI are not included in the course fee.